Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Monday, November 28, 2005
Update: This post is out of date. Please read the newer post.
Firefox extensions allow us to add great functionality to an already great browser. I'm currently using Firefox 220.127.116.11 and the following extensions. The creator's description follows each name. Click the link to read more or install.
- 1-ClickWeather 1.1.2 - Instant local weather, alerts, radar in motion, satellite maps, and forecasts.
- Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.4 - Synchronizes Adblock with Filterset.G
- Adblock Plus 0.7.1.2 - Ads were yesterday!
- All-In-One Sidebar 0.6.4 - Quickly switch between sidebars, view dialog windows such as downloads, extensions, and more in the sidebar, or view source or websites in the sidebar. It includes a slide-out button and a toolbar, all of which can be extensively customized.
- Answers 2.1.12 - Alt+Click on any word or term for quick info (definitions, up-to-the-minute reference, and more). No selection is necessary!
- Autofill 0.3 - Automatically fill out HTML forms
- BlogThis 0.3 - Adds right-click access to Blogger's BlogThis popup.
- Book Burro - Remixing the bookstore 0.27 - Find the cheapest books
- Bookmarks Synchronizer 1.0.2 - Bookmarks Synchronizer is a Mozilla Firefox extension that let you connect to an FTP/WebDAV server and synchronize your bookmarks that are stored in an XML file.
- BugMeNot 1.3 - Bypass compulsory web registration with the context menu via www.bugmenot.com.
- ColorZilla 0.8.3.1 - Advanced Eyedropper, ColorPicker, Page Zoomer and other colorful goodies.
- CSSViewer 1.0.1 - A simple CSS property viewer
- del.icio.us Complete 1.1 - del.icio.us is a social bookmarks manager. It allows you to easily add sites you like to your personal collection of links, to categorize those sites with keywords, and to share your collection not only between your own browsers and machines, but also with others.
- Flat Bookmark Editing 0.7.5 - Edit bookmarks in the bookmark manager, without opening the properties window.
- Greasemonkey 0.6.5.20060727 - A User Script Manager for Firefox
- Highlighter 0.1.3 - Select some text, right-click on it, and choose Highlight.
- Html Validator 0.7.9.4 - Adds HTML validation to the View Page Source of the browser. The validation is done by Tidy from W3c.
- IE Tab 18.104.22.168 - Enables you to use the embedded IE engine within Mozilla/Firefox.
- IE View 1.3 - Open pages in IE via Firefox menus
- MeasureIt 0.3.5 - Draw out a ruler to get the pixel width and height of any elements on a webpage.
- Mouse Gestures 1.5.1 - Allows you to execute common commands using mouse gestures.
- MR Tech Local Install 5.2 - Local Install power tools for all users. (en-US)
- OpenBook 1.3.4 - Allows for customization of the Add Bookmark dialog
- Pearl Crescent Page Saver Basic 1.2 - Save an image of a web page to a file.
- QuickNote 0.6.0.2 - A note taking extension with advanced features
- Sage 1.3.6 - A lightweight RSS and Atom feed aggregator.
- Super DragAndGo 0.2.4d1 - Drag a link or anything like a uri (e.g. "abc.com" ), and throw it to anywhere blank on the webpage to open the it in a new tab.
- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.5 - Tab browsing with an added boost.
- TinyUrl Creator 1.0.1 - Convenient tool to create small url redirects from longer ones.
- Update Notifier 0.1.4 - Notifies you when updates are available for your extensions and themes.
- Web Developer 1.0.2 - Adds a menu and a toolbar with various web developer tools.
- The Inline Mp3 Player script with Greasemonkey
- The slick Crystal Dream theme
- BackupFox saves a profile containing my extensions and preferences
Sunday, November 20, 2005
The NY Times describes Konono No. 1:
He played traditional music on the likembé, a 'thumb piano' constructed of thin metal rods attached to a resonator box. When performing outdoors with his group of singers, percussionists and other likembé players, it was tough to compete with the street noise. So he fashioned instrument pickups using automobile alternator magnets and amplifiers using old car radios, and sent his music out over salvaged metal public-address speaker horns.Crammed.be has pictures of the men and their instruments along with a sample MP3 (labeled "extract" at the bottom of the page).
The sound, not surprisingly, was distorted. But it was an appealing distortion, giving his hypnotic music a raw, electric quality. And the conical loudspeakers, or 'lance voix' (voice-throwers), proved more effective than anyone expected.
Thursday, November 17, 2005
Geometry is a topic artist Jun Kaneko understands impeccably well. Best known for his large-scale, vertical ceramic sculptures, Kaneko creates simplified forms and accentuates them with glazed surface patterns. His obsession with pattern is evident, as is his interest in challenging dualities. For him, there is no political agenda attached, no complicated analyzations to dissect. He creates them purely for personal pleasure as an expression of his structural accomplishments and his jovial appreciation of life.As described on the Gerald Peters Gallery, Dallas website. The photo is from Artnet.com
Wednesday, November 16, 2005
Last month a remarkable building was inaugurated by Spain's Queen Sofia. I'm talking about the new Valencia opera house 'Palau de les Arts Reina Sofía'. Its nautical forms suggest its closeness to the sea and its setting in the former bed of the river Turia.
Tuesday, November 15, 2005
...An education, particularly in art history and technique, can be valuable to a young artist, and studying with your heroes can be inspiring. What happens too often in these situations, though, is that we find young artists simply emulating their instructors, rather than finding and honing their own aesthetics and points of view about the world, society, themselves.From The Kids Aren’t All Right in the LA Weekly.
Monday, November 14, 2005
Companies of every kind sign their names with linked letters called ligatures. Ligature means to tie. Ligatures make excellent business signatures. They're handsome, simple and compact. And they're fun, too -- we all have initials!John McWade presents many examples in his Before & After article How to design a logo of letters. The full article is in PDF format (2.8 MB).
Some letters link in one typeface but not another. Others link in lowercase but not in upper. What follows are a variety of ways to get your letter pairs beautifully together.
Sunday, November 06, 2005
Friday, November 04, 2005
Download the remix project Depeche Mode - Violated:
Depeche Mode's 'Violator' album was short by most standards, but it was the quality not quantity that made this album a classic. 15 years after it was first released, and as a celebration of a brand new Depeche Mode album, 'Playing The Angel', this is a new spin on an old favourite. A mixture of covers, mashups and remixes for your listening and possibly dancing pleasure.[via Beatmixed]
Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Ironically, Kandinsky's work moved in a direction that was of much greater abstraction than that which was pioneered by the Impressionists. It was not long before his talent surpassed the constraints of art school and he began exploring his own ideas of painting - 'I applied streaks and blobs of colors onto the canvas with a palette knife and I made them sing with all the intensity I could...'From the WebMuseum: Kandinsky, Wassily.
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
“Yo, son, I’ll tell you everything you wanna know about Herbie Hancock,” says Hip-Hop Nick, my swaggering Lebanese Phishhead-turned-jazzbo-turned-B-boy-producer neighbor from down the hall. “I know that cat’s solos like some folks know words,” he brags.From issue 18 of Paste Magazine.